Submissionshow you can be the next great MRP author
Short Story Anthology Submission Guidelines
Currently, we are only accepting submissions from residents of Canada. The submission period is from January 2 to February 28, 2018.
What you get:
- Bragging rights. If selected, your short story will be professionally edited and included in the publication of the charity anthology.
- One print copy of the anthology.
- The opportunity to purchase additional copies of the anthology at a reduced contributor’s rate, keeping in mind that proceeds from all sales will go to The Friendship Bench and its mental health initiatives.
- An invitation to the launch and MRP’s 5th Anniversary Party in the fall of 2018
What we are looking for:
- Short stories of 3000 to 5000 words.
- Stories should have a theme of family and friendship with undertones addressing mental health
- Stories from all walks of life, all backgrounds, and all communities
- Bonus points for using the following words: rain, bench, friendship
What we aren’t accepting:
- Previously published works
- Excerpts from other works
- Full length novels of any genre
- Children’s picture books
- Photography collections
All submissions (electronic only, please) should include:
- Query Letter—Include your legal name, pen name, genre, target audience, and word count
- Provide a paragraph pitching your story
- Tell us why your work is spectacular and deserves our attention
- Be sure to add a bit about yourself—it doesn’t have to be publishing experience, but it helps.
- Your short story.
- Make sure your work is as polished as humanly possible—grammar, punctuation, and word choice matter. We’re publishers, not grade school teachers.
Please copy everything into the body of your email. The subject line should read as follows:
“Last_Name 2018 SSA Submission”.
Attachments will not be opened.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Paper submissions will not be accepted for the short story anthology.
You may submit more than one short story; however, it must come as a separate submission. Do not send more than one query in the same email. If you send more than one submission, plese number your submission in the subject line as follows: “Last_Name 2018 SSA Submission 1” or “Last_Name 2018 SSA Submission 2”, etc.
You should also note in your query letter that you’re sending multiple works. We’ll create a file just for you.