It’s time for the annual Morning Rain Publishing Freaky Flash Fiction Contest!
Any person, any age, from anywhere around the world can enter. The five best stories will be posted here, one each day between Monday, October 26th and Friday October 30th. The top five entries will also receive an MRP prize package in the mail!
Rules – because we have to have some:
- It has to be freaky. The idea is to have a Halloween theme, but we’re not limiting you to the holiday. As long as it’s scary, thrilling, and gives us goose bumps, we’ll accept it.
- It has to be flash. One thousand (1,000) words or less please.
- It has to be fiction… Although if you’re going to break any rules, this is the acceptable choice. If you’ve got a scary true story that you can tell in less than 1,000 words, go for it.
Guidelines – more for our sanity:
- Please make sure to put “Freaky Flash Fiction Submission” in the subject line of your email.
- Please introduce yourself, or at least say hello before starting your flash.
- Please copy your story into the body of the email. Attachments will not be opened.
Deadline – Thursday, October 15th, 2015
Other stuff you should know:
- Winners will be asked to provide a one paragraph blurb about themselves, along with a picture (optional), and a link back to their website (also optional).
- Although we are asking for nail-biting stuff, please remember that the winning stories will be posted here for all to see, therefore, it is important to know that the audience could be anyone. So no profanity, and no graphic violence. Try to keep it PG.
- You are more than welcome to submit multiple short stories as long as you follow all the rules and guidelines above. Each submission requires a new email.
- Bonus points will be given to stories that include any or all of the following words:
Point #4 is just to keep you on your toes.
Fine Print: All submissions must be original and not in the public domain; by entering the contest the author agrees that their story does not violate the right of privacy of any person; that it contains no libelous, obscene, or other unlawful matter; and that it does not infringe upon the copyright or violate any other right of any person or party. By submitting, authors warrant they hold the rights to publish their work, and MRP will not be held liable for any shenanigans.
Email us your entry today, and remember to use “Freaky Flash Fiction Submission” in the message header.
If you have any issues with the email link, you can send your submissions directly to firstname.lastname@example.org